Lord of War

"I supplied every army, but the Salvation Army." - Yuri

"I supplied every army, but the Salvation Army." Yuri

☆ Classic 

Lord of War (2005) is a disturbing and insightful film about arms dealers and global merchants of death.

Directed and written by Andrew Niccol.

Starring Nicolas Cage, Ian Holm, Jared Leto, Bridget Moynahan and Ethan Hawke among many others.

Lord of War (2005) is an important film that uses irony laced with sarcasm to create a deadly cocktail of death and destruction. Andrew's direction and script are amplified by Nicolas' brilliant performance. I been a big fan of Andrews work. This is my favorite film of his among many favorites. The script is to die for. I'm sure Nicolas was ecstatic after reading the first few pages. Niccol employs in the opening montage a brilliant view of a bullet as it is being made, tested and fired. Werner Herzog visually set me up for his film Aguirre, Der Zorn Gottes - Aguirre, The Wrath of God (1972) in a similar way visually. I knew from the start that both Andrew and Werner's films were going to be brutal from start to finish.

Cage plays his character Yuri as an aloof and amoral prick to brilliant perfect. I found Nicolas best moments when he let the irony of his sarcastic lines color the subtext within the lines. I found myself laughing at the most disturbing moments in his performance. In the opening scene watch how he flippantly delivers his lines which come out disturbing but humorous. Cage does this throughout the film.




Trivia - Nicolas Cage's real life son Weston plays the helicopter mechanic in the film.







No comments:

Post a Comment