Eat Pray Love

"Listen, balance my darling, is not letting anybody love you less than you love yourself." Felipe

"Listen, balance my darling, is not letting anybody love you less than you love yourself." Felipe


 Enlightening

Eat Pray Love (2010) has its best moments when the actors are intimately revealing themselves.

Directed by Ryan Murphy.

Starring Julia Roberts, Javier Bardem and Richard Jenkins among others.

Eat Pray Love is a film adaptation of Elizabeth Gilbert's 2006 memoir of the same name. Ryan like Roman Polanski in Carnage (2011) has actors that rise above and beyond the material. Transferring a beloved book, play into a film is very difficult, because the audience comes into the theater expecting a replica of what they read or saw.

Some moments in a movie just jump out at me as I'm viewing a film for the first time.
I never know why these moments draw my attention. I don't question at the time it happens why these moments affect me. I just remember to remember the moment and come back to it for further observation.

My first viewing of a movie is as an audience member. If something special or unusual happens I can go back later and study the moment with a more critical eye as I did with Ryan's film. In the scene below Richard Jenkins is conversing with Julia Roberts. Richard is completely lost in the scene that he draws me hypnotically into his world. I had to go back and watch it again. I watch it several more times and its the message that Richard is giving Julia that needs attention. The words that Richard speaks have significance for me. I agree with what Richard, says to do with thoughts about ex's. Richard advises Julia to; Think about them, love them, then let them go and move on. Takes time to learn to do this, but once mastered, it really frees you to continue your journey and opens you to new relationships and experiences. I never know what I'm going to learn from watching a film for the first time.




Trivia - The film was sent to theaters under the false name of Guest House.




No comments:

Post a Comment